Monday, March 30, 2009

Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

A lot of changes in the McLaughlin household! We are all so excited for me to be finished with my student teaching and school in general. Can I tell you how weird it feels to not have to do any homework, study, take tests, or be anywhere for most of the day? I have been in school since kindergarten with only a year off since then. Now to be finished, well it seems surreal and unbeliveable. Good, but strange. I hope to get used to this fast though!
On another topic, we all need to sing a sad eulogy for Fred. For many of you who know us well, know that both Josh and I have always named our cars and called them by their respective names. Another odd idiosyncracy maybe, but it works for us and (even though Josh laughs quietly at me for this) makes them feel like part of the family in a very small way. I got Alfred, or Fred, right after I graduated from college. I had him to entire time Josh and I dated, he drove us around after we were married, he faithfully drove us across the country, brought our first child home from the hospital, and never had any problems. We always tried to take care of him, washing him often, cleaning out and polishing his interior, getting oil changes, and not letting people eat in him. People have called me a bit OCD with the car, but it helped when we traded him in for a slightly bigger car.
Josh was so excited and we were able to haggle our way into a really great deal. He loves driving the new car, which I have called Celia (which may need to change as Josh hates the name). She's a lot bigger than Fred, and when we were switching our stuff from Fred to Celia, I was really sad. He was sucha great car, and I just wish I could know he was going to go to someone who could take care of him...
Other than that, Ada has been doing well and really learning to walk just by holding on to something with one hand. She didn't like it at first as she was so wobbly and din't feel like she could move forward without falling, which let's be honest, happened often. But she's better at it now and has now moved to on to every once and a while letting go of things and walking a few steps towards it until she falls down. I also now have more time to realize I am pregnant as the baby kicks, or I notice the kicking, more. We will be preparing to move into a 3rd floor apt (yeah, 3rd floor with soon two small kids who can't tackle stairs). We move in on the 6th, which should prve fun as Mondays are so hard for Josh as he gets no sleep. Then on the 7th we find out what baby #2's gender is. and on the 8th Ada and I leave Josh to go home to Philly. It will be a great vacation and we are so excited (not so much to leave Josh or to have to leave at 3 am on the 8th) to visit my side of the family. So we have a lot going on, and I would really like to know I passed my PRAXIS II tests so I can get my teachers certificate, but it is really nice to just be at home being a mom.

Getting messy

Bath time with Dad


Saying our Goodbyes to Fred.

By the way, Celia is a Ford Expedition

4 comments:

Spencer, Kami, James and Madelynn said...

What happened to your Ford F 150??? I am so out of the loop!! Congrats again on finishing school - The feeling was fantastic when I finished my nursing program after SVU. Such a liberating feeling! Just imagine! You can read a book that YOU want to read!!!

Anonymous said...

How exciting!! Congrats on the new car, I end up getting a new car every other year it seems, but not by choice! Ada is growing fast, and is too cute! :)

Tuthill Family said...

So many exciting things happening all at once! Congrats on being done with school... I know what it's like to feel like you spent your entire life in school. :)I for one, think Celia is the perfect name for your new car! I absolutely love the pictures of Ada you put up - what was she eating? Such a cute picture of her in the towel - she's always so happy! I can't wait to find out what the next one is!!! Have fun with your family - It will be good for you to be able to kick back and relax!

Stinson Family said...

Congrats on getting finishing school! That is great that you got a good deal on a new car and that it is bigger. We hope that you have a nice and safe trip home.